Part Two -- James Boultbee's Continuation
PART THREE -- ADDITIONAL CHAPTERS FOR THE NEW EDITION
[Generations are denoted by type of symbol 1 (1st), I (2nd), i (3rd), A (4th) and a (5th). Ed.]
ADDITIONAL CHAPTER VIII
THE CHILDREN OF THOMAS POWNALL BOULTBEE [TPB]
AND CAROLINE FRANCES LAWRANCE,
AS LISTED AND DESCRIBED BY JB BUT WITH
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND INCLUDING THEIR DESCENDANTS
- Emily Frances born 1847. [She did not marry and died in 1907. Ed.]
- Thomas Francis born 1850, married [1876 Ed.] Marian Gertrude daughter of Frederick Padwick of West Thorney, Sussex. Now Vicar of Loddiswell, Devon. [Thomas
Francis was educated at a private school at Holbrook, Suffolk and
Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. He was ordained in 1876. After
various curacies he was Vicar of St. Mark's, Nottingham; Escot;
Loddiswell; and South Tawton and Aveton Giffard, both in Devon. He was a
Prebendary of Exeter Cathedral, and Rural Dean of Woodleigh, 1898 -
1907. He died in 1925 and his wife in 1928. Ed.] Their children were:-
- Ellen Frances born 1878.
- Isobel Mary born 1881. She was a State Registered Nurse, training at Vancouver General Hospital, and served with the U.S. Army 1918 - 1921.
- Violet Evelyn born 1882.
- Thomas born 1884. Educated at the Cathedral Schools at
Llandaff and Exeter. He went to Canada to farm in 1902, returning to
settle at Redmarley, Gloucestershire, in 1935. He married in 1927 Lucy
Marian Millett. They had one son:-
Lucy Marian died in 1929 and Thomas married secondly, in 1942,
Mildred Bridget St. Alban. It was this Thomas who had preserved John
Boultbee's Journal of a Rambler.
- Thomas Wilfred Nicholas, born 1929 who emigrated to Australia.
- Sydney Lawrance born 1852, died 1853. Window to him at Salford.
- Charles Eustace born 1854, married 1882 Mary Henrietta Townshend. [Also
educated at Holbrook and Corpus Christi College like his brother.
Ordained in 1878. Vicar of Chesham, Buckinghamshire from 1884 to 1921
and Rector of Birtsmorton, Worcestershire from 1921 to 1940. He died in
1946 and Mary Henrietta in 1942. Ed.] Their children were:-
- Muriel Agnes born 1883.
- Horace Townshend born 1885. He was educated at Tonbridge
School and Christ's College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1909. In 1911 he
went out to Australia, where he joined the Bush Brotherhood of St.
Barnabas, North Queensland, working with them until 1916. He then became
a Chaplain in the Australian Army and served in France until invalided
out in 1917. He married in 1919 Dorothea Edith Ffrench, daughter of
Austin Errington Ffrench of Rockhampton, Queensland. He returned to
England and had various livings in the Diocese of Worcester. In 1939,
having been for many years a Territorial Army Chaplain, he was called up
and went to France in 1940 with the 48th Division. He was on leave when
the German Army broke through but returned to France at once. He was at
St. Nazaire when recalled to take charge of the Garrison Church, Larkhill,
Salisbury Plain, and to train young chaplains to the Forces. His last
incumbency, from 1949, was at Lifton, Devon, where he died in 1954. His
first cousin, Walter Richard Pownall Boultbee who wrote down the above
notes about Horace added -- He was a keen sportsman, a good shot, and an excellent dry-fly fisherman. Horace and Dorothea Edith's children were:-
- Joyce Dorothea born 1921.
- Faith Muriel born 1922.
- Pamela Constance born 1926.
- Esmé Lilian born 1930. Married David R.C. Engleheart.
- Grace born 1886.
- Mary Dorothea born 1888. [Married William Smith of Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1949. Ed.]
- Lilian Maria born 1855. Married Reverend John Burton. [The marriage was in 1880. Lilian Maria died in 1948 and her husband in 1927. Ed.]
- Mary Grace born 1862, married 1882 Francis Herbert Padwick. [She died in 1948. Ed.]
- Gertrude Maud born 1864, died 1865. [Her death certificate, however, gives her names as Georgina Maud. Ed.]
Chapter IX -- The Children of James Boultbee, Marrianne Simmons and Mary Rucker Sankey and Their Descendants